Pakistan Live News » Unlabelled » IBM aims to increase customers in Pakistan
April 19, 2011
IBM aims to increase customers in Pakistan
The Big Blue is confident that a large pool of young people will help it achieve the target of growing business in the country even with economic and security-related challenges, said Humayun Bashir, IBM’s Country General Manager for Pakistan and Afghanistan.
“We are offering total business solutions now. We can help a manufacturer in managing his warehouse, data centres and train the employees,” he said.
“So rather than having 5 or 10 contracts with different service providers, IBM is giving it all under one agreement.”
Bashir was speaking to newsmen as part of the IBM’s centennial celebrations. The technology giant completes 100 years in 2011 since its inception in 1911.
Banks, utility service providers and telecommunication firms can be a large market for IT companies, he said. “The out-tasking has a lot of scope. It is happening everywhere in the world.”
Pakistan’s IT industry with $2.4 billion in sales stands below a lot of other developing countries. “This is mainly because of the country’s negative perception abroad. If only we get one or two years of stability, things will turn around.”
Business process outsourcing will grow in the coming years on the back of young talent, he said.
“According to an estimate, Pakistan’s IT industry will expand to $10 billion and provide jobs to a million people by 2020.”
IBM has been operating in Pakistan since 1952 and has 400 software engineers. It was the first company to introduce computers in the country. It introduced the online ticket reservation system for Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) and computing machines for banks in 1970s.
Bashir said that IBM will innovate technologies to make life easier and healthier for the people.
“For example in the field of medicine, there would be electronic doctor who could diagnose millions of illnesses in response to a few questions.”
He also mentioned about the Aman Ki Asha, a joint project of The Times of India and Jang Group to help improve ties between the neighboring countries.
“The two countries can gain a lot through mutual cooperation. We are already working on it and hope that governments support our initiative.”
- ► 2012 (169)
- 42 percent Smartphone users click on mobile ads
- PTCL offers Unlimited On-net calls on Sundays
- Warid Announces Winner of the first Reverse Auctio...
- Warid Telecom brings "Ask Warid"
- Unverified SIMs To be Blocked by 17 May: PTA
- Mobilink brings Call & SMS Block service
- SMS your favorite Ufone number all month for only ...
- PTCL introduces EVO Landline Recharge Service
- Win a 1300 cc CAR and a HOUSE with JAZZ Malamaal O...
- Ufone offers MMS for Rupee 1 only
- PTCL launches 50Mb VDSL Broadband - An industry fi...
- 3.8 million SIM activation requests rejected by PT...
- CNN introduced Android App
- IBM aims to increase customers in Pakistan
- PTCL upgraded 1 Mbps DSL connections to 2 Mbps onc...
- Meezan Bank and Western Union Home Remittance Paym...
- Now Pay your PTCL bills at all Ufone outlets
- Tameer Bank selects TPS Remittance Processing Solu...
- Ufone, Mobilink ink tower sharing agreement
- World Bank team visits NetSol
- Govt. to establish Pakistan Technology Council for...
- Djuice sim lagao offer: 2000 free SMS and 200 free...
- About 5000 Mobile Phones Blocked in Karachi
- Ufone brings Non Stop Offer for Uth Package Subscr...
- Telecom Policies should be pro consumer: IT&T Mini...
- DELL to launch connected classroom solution in Pak...
- TeleCON 2011 concludes with focus of End-Users
- Djuice supports March for Education campaign
- on-line grid solar system introduced by Pakistan E...
- Linkedin releases Mobile Application for Android D...
- Qubee introduces Prepaid Broadband Packages
- PTCL to offer 50 Mbps Bandwidth via VDSL2 Bonding ...
- Ufone Twitter Service: tweets via SMS
- wi-tribe Partners with SOFTEC 2011
- [Telenor] Android Phone Settings MMS - GPRS - EDGE...
- Ufone introduces HTC Incredible S in Pakistan
- Telenor offers Summer Internship Program
- Mobilink introduces Samsung Nexus S in Pakistan
- Zong Twitter Service: send and receive tweets via ...
- Vfone SMART Package: Call any N/W for Rs. 1.30 per...
- Telenor and Nokia Join Hands: Pakistani Apps at OV...
- Telenor introduces Opera Mini Browser for free
- Google introduces +1 Button for search
- Ufone Uth postpaid package for Youth
- Telenor to Charge Rs. 2 for Helpline Calls from Ap...
- Ufone Super Call Offer: Call for just Rs. 2.99
- ▼ April (46)