Hacker builds $1,500 cell-phone tapping device
Can you hear me now? Yes. So can hackers. Researcher builds $1,500 cell-phone tapping device
The attack Chris Paget showed Saturday illustrates weaknesses in GSM, one of the world's most widely used cellular communications technologies.
His attack was benign; he showed how he could intercept a few dozen calls made by fellow hackers in the audience for his talk at the DefCon conference here. But it illustrates that criminals could do the same thing for malicious purposes, and that consumers have few options for protecting themselves.
Paget said he hopes his research helps spur adoption of newer communications standards that are more secure.
"GSM is broken — it's just plain broken," he said.
GSM is considered 2G, or "second generation," cellular technology. Phones that run on the newer 3G and 4G standards aren't vulnerable to his attack.
If you're using an iPhone or other smart phone and the screen shows that your call is going over a 3G network, for example, you are protected. BlackBerry phones apply encryption to calls that foil the attack, Paget pointed out. But if you're using a type of phone that doesn't specify which type of network it uses, those phones are often vulnerable, Paget said.
Paget's device tricks nearby cell phones into believing it is a legitimate cell phone tower and routing their calls through it. Paget uses Internet-based calling technology to complete the calls and log everything that's said.
A caveat is that recipients see numbers on their Caller IDs that are different than the cell numbers of the people calling them. Paget claims it would be easy to upgrade the software to also include the callers' real numbers.
The device he built is called an "IMSI catcher," which refers to the unique International Mobile Subscriber Identity numbers that phones use to identify themselves to cellular networks.
Commercial versions of such devices have existed for decades and have mainly been used by law enforcement. Paget's work shows how cheaply hobbyists can make the devices using equipment found on the Internet.
"That's a significant change for research — it's a major breakthrough for everyone," said Don Bailey, a GSM expert with iSec Partners who wasn't involved in Paget's research.
Another security expert, Nicholas DePetrillo, said such devices haven't been built as cheaply in the past because the hardware makers have closely controlled who they sell to. Only recently has the necessary equipment become available cheaply online.
In the U.S., AT&T Inc. and T-Mobile USA are two cellular operators whose networks include GSM.
There are more than 3 billion GSM users and the technology is used in nearly three quarters of the world's cell phone markets, according to the GSM Association, an industry trade group.
In a statement, the group emphasized the hurdles to launching an attack like Paget's, such as the fact an attacker's base station would need to be physically close to the target and that only outgoing calls can be intercepted. Incoming calls are not vulnerable.
"The overall advice for GSM calls and fixed-line calls is the same: neither has ever offered a guarantee of secure communications," the group said. "The great majority of users will make calls with no reason to fear that anyone might be listening. However, users with especially high security requirements should consider adding extra, end-to-end security features over the top of both their fixed line calls and their mobile calls."
A representatives for AT&T had no comment. T-Mobile didn't immediately respond to e-mails Saturday from The Associated Press.
Paget had been debating dropping the demonstration from his talk, after federal authorities told him it might violate wiretapping laws. He went ahead with it after conferring with lawyers. He said he didn't believe he had broken any laws.
Source: Ap News
- ► 2012 (169)
- ► 2011 (676)
- Telenor Receives Rs. 68 Million from DTAC Thailand...
- LG Launches Andriod-Powered Optimus Smartphone
- GMail Priority Box Predicts and Sorts Your Importa...
- Mobilink (Jazz) Gives Away 3 Cars and Air-Tickets
- Google Realtime Search Launched
- Smartphones will Soon Replace Credit Cards
- Telecom Sector to Spend Rs 2.3bn on Infrastructure...
- Sharp Launching 3D Smartphone
- PTA Checks Power Levels Of Mobile Towers
- wi-tribe Employee Flood Relief Drive
- EasyPaisa launched ‘International Home Transfer’
- How to Use Internet on BlackBerry Without BIS Acco...
- Warid and Seven Other Singtel Networks Working on ...
- NetSol Re-Appraised at Maturity Level 5 of CMMI V ...
- Nokia 5250: Nokia announces a new Symbian^1 device...
- TweetDeck Android v0.9.5 Beta 5 Released
- Uplaod and Share Your Images in High Quality With ...
- Real-Time Face Tracker Application (Demo)
- Another Tata Nano car catches fire
- Free after 1st Minute: Jazz Bemisaal Ramadan Offer...
- Survey to Check Power Emission From BTS Conducted ...
- PTCL Reports Net Profit Rs. 9.29 Billion for FY 09...
- Google brings voice to Gmail with free calls
- First cyber police station opens in india
- PTA Contributes Rs. 200 Million for Flood
- wi-tribe Launches Social Media Bar for Easy Browsi...
- Mobile Handset Import Bill Up 100%: FBS
- Call to Phone from Your Gmail
- TSF Deploys Free Phones in Flood Hit Areas
- Djuice: Call Free After 2 Minutes
- Broadband Subscribers Hit 0.9 Million Mark
- Telenor TalkShawlk 5 Paisa Offer
- Mobilink Roaming Offer for Umrah
- Warid Song Search and Caller Tunes
- Pay PTCL Bills at Ufone Customer Services Centers
- PM Urges PTA to Ensure Telecom Reconstruction in F...
- Telenor Pk Management Volunteered Flood Relief Act...
- Telecom Sector Suffered Rs. 1.8 Billion Loss in Fl...
- Zong’s Free Phone Allows Flood Victims to Call for...
- Ufone WAP Gaming Portal
- Robot to drill into Great Pyramid mystery
- Orascom Campaigns to Raise Funds for Pakistani Flo...
- KASB Bank Automates its Reporting Chart of Account...
- Mobilink Jazz Announces Rs. 1 Crore Winner
- Telenor, Zong Complete 62 Solar Powered Sites
- Aftab Iqbal Joined Jang Group and Geo Television N...
- Universe will probably be expanding forever: Resea...
- Windows Live Essentials 2011 beta 2 available now
- GREY Trafficking: Senate Body Directs PTA to Take ...
- Acer Appoints Adnan Siddiqui as Brand Ambassador f...
- PTCL Report For The Quarter & Nine Months Ended Ma...
- Made in China Fake Phones – What is The Reality ?
- Ufone ICON Handset (Now at Low Price)
- Nokia C7 – Combining E With N
- Wide Angle Phone Camera Lenses
- Scientists demonstrate fighting technique of pre-h...
- Upcoming Dell Thunder
- Samsung Launches Durable Adventure Cameras
- Mobilink Reaches Out to More Than 38,000 Flood Vic...
- Pakistanis Send 106 Billion Text Messages a Year
- PTCL Islamic Portal Service
- Review:New Nokia X3-02(leaked Photo)
- August 14 video from Zong
- Can Google Be Motorola's Rescuer?
- Mobilink: Indigo Ramadan Offer
- Shark-like boat runs underwater and jumps 12-feet ...
- Rising Competition Ceased the Growth of Wireless S...
- Nokia Debuts Touch and Type Design With Nokia X3
- PTCL Broadband Ramadan Offer
- Geo: Inaam Ramzan Watch Live WebCast
- Oracle sues Google over alleged use of Java in bui...
- Zephyr Solar Plane lands after setting flight reco...
- One lie-in at the weekend not enough to counter sl...
- TelenorPk and CMPak Completed 62 Solar Powered Sit...
- Free Minute Per Minute: Ufone
- Warid Launches Video Portal
- Mobilink Signs Acision for Expanding its Messaging...
- Ufone Reactivation Offer - Win Free Minutes and SM...
- PTCL Suffers Rs 2.5 Billion Loss Due to Floods
- Orient Gets Distribution of Transcend Products in ...
- Samsung Applications Gaining Popularity
- Ramadan Hourly Package By Warid
- PTA Federal Excise Duty on Telecom Services
- Telenor Karo Mumkin
- Mobilink Jazz Reactivation Offer
- Warid SIM Jagao Offer / Package
- Pakistan Tele Density Market Grew by 2.2 Percent
- Youth Senate of Pakistan
- Pictures of Mecca Clock in Saudi Arabia
- PTCL Launches 9.3 Mbps EVO Nitro Device
- Jazz Ramadan kay Paigham
- Wateen Launches "Wateen Information Portal"
- wi-tribe's "Mera Pehgam Pakistan"
- Happy Independence Day - PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
- Warid Introduces My5
- Pakistan Has More CNG Vehicles and Stations Than A...
- Qubee Doubles Bandwidth Limits During Ramadan
- Intel Donates Classmate PCs to Students
- Karo Mumkin Show; Starting Today
- Djuice Kuch Kar Dikha!
- 'Madinay Ko Jao" by Dunya News
- World’s largest clock starts ticking in Saudi Arab...
- Warid's 786-ISLAMIC SERVICE for Ramadan
- ZONG's RAMADAN Value Added Services
- Ufone Ramadan Portal
- Jazz Ramadan Special Offer
- PTCL's Ramadan Offer!
- Celco is Restoring Network in Flood-hit Areas: PTA...
- Warid Donated Rs 800,000
- Ramadan Mubarak
- Samsung Ramadan Campaign for SOS village
- Warid Officially Announces Call-Block-9211
- PTCL Cautions Customers Against Tricksters
- Vfone Grand Recharge
- Ericsson-PTA Mobile Excellence Award 2010
- ZONG's Ramzan Value Time Offer
- Ufone's "Shukria Pakistan"
- Nokia has announced the launch of Ramadan Mobile A...
- PTA: Telecom Infrastructure Affected in Khyber
- Samsung Opens Service Center in Rawalpindi
- Jazz SMS Eid Khazana!
- Ufone BlackBerry Bold 9700 Smartphone
- Telenor Pakistan Receives Best Place to Work Award...
- PTCL-SmartTv with Rewind Feature
- Jazz Reactivation Offer - Mibilink Jazz
- Speed Boost with Wi-tribe!
- Telenor Pakistan pledges Rs100 Million for Flood A...
- Watch Awaz Tv Live Online Stream | Pakistan
- A Salute to Pak Army–Pakistan Army evacuates 14250...
- Ufone CEO Nominated for ‘CEO of the Year Award’
- PTA: "3G To Be Launched Soon"
- Google Earth Scrutinizes Pakistani Govt.'s Land
- PTCL - Landline Lucky Draw Promotion
- Find Your Phone Number or Package - (How To)
- Warid to Launch Call Block Service-9211
- Watch Dawn News | Pakistan | Live Online | Stream ...
- INTERESTING FACT ABOUT AUGUST 2010
- Ufone brings Mobile Magazine
- Two Numbers In One Sim-Ufone Double Number Offer
- Jashn-e-Azadi 2010 (14-August) National Songs | V...
- Aftab Iqbal's Hasbe-e-Haal | Dunya News | Hasbe-e-...
- Geo News Pakistan ( Web | Radio ) Live Online | St...
- TEDx in Lahore
- Online Broadcast | Streaming | Broadcasting | Live...
- Car Accidents Due To Cell Phone Use While Driving
- Nokia Mixed Reality
- Dawn News Pakistan Launches Mobile News Applicatio...
- First Android Phone In Pakistan - Milestone By Mob...
- Hacker builds $1,500 cell-phone tapping device
- Zong Adds More Cities to its Location Based Chargi...
- More From Dunya News Tv Pakisan Alif Noon upcoming...
- Pakistan Independence Day 14 August 2010, Countdow...
- ▼ August (153)